Best Fish Finder Comprehensive Guide A to Z
The below article is to help the fishing lovers who have just started using the Fish Finder and have not experienced it yet or have just started using it. This can guide you about the feature and uses of the Fish Finder.
What is the Fish Finder? What are its benefits???
For starter, Fish Finder is a device or an equipment that helps you in not only searching the fish but also some offers the amazing features like displaying the images of the type of fish, depth of water. Some are even equipped with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth as well. Fish Finder works on the system which is similar to SONAR technology,
reflecting the waves and drawing graphs on the small handheld device, locating the fish and its kind and displaying the nearby fish on the screen.
There is a long range and variety available in the models of Fish Finder based on its shape, form and exterior and varying features and abilities to satisfy the needs of the user accordingly. The price of the equipment also varies with the refined shape, advanced technology, and features which are added in different models of Fish Finder. Different types of technology are used in it, ranging from simple Gray Scaled Screen Display, showing the intensity in the range of white to black, to High-Tech Color Definition screen display using more advanced technology. The technological range also varies in the SONAR technology with advanced capabilities and machinery as well as the plotting of charts on the display. Availability of many options to choose from, the user can pick and choose the product of his need and choice accordingly. By knowing more details in regards to the Fish Finder, you can find the right one for you more easily. Well, the name suggests the most obvious benefit it can provide you with, finding you the fish! The whole day can go by if people sit and wait leisurely for the fishes to come to them on the brink of the water. For more proficient and effective fishing experience and for the people with a busy schedule, you would want to make every minute you can spare, worth it and Fish Finder can help you to successfully achieve that. Finding the pool with more fishes is the most important part to begin the fishing, no matter the fisher is a beginner or a professional and to making the beginning right, a fish finder can help you in finding the right pool with the right amount of fishes so that you can dwell in.
Fish Finder can help you in deciding the correctly sized bait and accurate fishing line to use, by providing the information on thesize of the fish so that you can hook the right sized fish with the appropriate bait. To avoid second guessing about the type of fish based on size, some Fish Finder comes with Fish Icon Identifiers so that the user, no matter of how much experience, can know the type of fish by viewing it on display. The device can also help you in measuring the accurate water depth so that the user can cast properly. Fish Finder which is installed with GPS and has advanced chart-plotting capabilities are although more expensive but ensures your safety by not letting you get lost in the sea with the help of enabled GPS.
The more extensive details can help you in making the right choice and to know what you require based on your necessity or requirements. By asking yourself the right questions, you can know what exactly you need the fish finder to have that you are going to buy.
The first question that comes to mind is the type of water you are going to fish in. Does the device work in both, saltwater and freshwater? Yes, there are exclusive models available that work in fresh water and salt water. You can make sure about the model that you want to have with respect to the type of water. But although there exclusive models available in the market, isn’t it better to have the model that can work in both types of water. At least having something in your access in better than not having it a
t all because you never when you the need for it arises.
Secondly, the measurement units it displays, is the depth measured in meters or feet and what scale it uses for measuring temperature, Celsius or Fahrenheit? You can make sure that the model you are buying provides the information in units you can understand.
Also, does it contain maps of lakes and chart-plotting? Fish Finder provides you different features in single equipment so that you won’t have to buy another one. For example, you can have chart-plotting in the same device and you don’t have to carry the extra burden with you. Cartography is included in chart-plotters as well so that you can make your own charts. The chart-plotter are also sometimes equipped with GPS. When the GPS is enabled, the user can save the coordinates just as they do in their cars and in the same way, the user can also make sure that he is not lost in the sea and navigates in the sea with the peace of mind.
There are many models available which are installed with the Bluetooth function. The unit can connect to the cell phone or other Bluetooth enabled devices and shares the image or other information on the display screen of Fish Finder with other devices connected via Bluetooth. These models are not available with display screens so you have to use the device’s screen it is connected with, as the display. It can be a Cell phone or laptop. One important thing that you have to keep in mind is the range of Bluetooth while using this type of Fish Finder. For proper functionality, your device and the unit needs to be in between so that you can’t lose the sight of the fish you are trying to hook and start your efforts all over again.
The advanced feature like Wi-Fi is also included in Fish Finder. It allows you to share the information and other images like screenshots to the Wi-Fi connected devices of the same network, whether it is your computer, laptop or cell phones.
About the kinds of features, it has available in the display, split screen options and options of zooming in and out as well as horizontal or vertical views? It has the zooming feature and Fish Icon Identifiers, which helps in identifying the fishes and it also contains Transducers.
Lastly, about the energy related issues, if you want to go out and deep you need the right amount of energy in the Fish Finder. If you are going near to catch fishes then there are no issues but if you are going far and 6 feet deeper than you need to have at least 3000 watts power at the peak to have the device working properly.
The information about the available models and features included in these models is given so that you can have the idea about the options available for you.
In fish finders, the Garmin brand called the Echo 200 which is not only available at reasonable price and it also offer all the features which you expect from this brand. Smooth Scaling, which is the trademark of Garmin, helps when the boat moves from shallow to deep waters. The amazing feature of Sonar History Rewinds offers you the ability to look into the places where you have been to if you need to or don’t remember it. Because of Quick Release Tilt/Swivel Mount, the device can be installed with great ease. The trademarked feature of Garmin, Garmin’s HD-ID Target Tracking Technology makes you see the flawless, vibrant images on the 5-inch greyscale display. Even the images of 1500 feet depth are clear and crisp. 1.8 x 6 x 5.9 in size and 1.1 pounds in weight, this product comes in three models. In one model, it goes to 1200 feet deep and has 4’’ display while in the other model, with the same display size, it goes up to 600 feet deep.
In other models, it is not restricted to the boats. For example the Deeper Sonar. It isn’t anchored to the boat and it is a smart device which is used while you are casting. This product has the Bluetooth and displays the image on the device which it is connected. You can view the fish as long as your devices are connected and are in range, which is 150 feet. Until the device is in range, you can see the fish on the display, cell phone or other. The Deeper is dual frequency sonar enabling you to check both broad and short read. The light-weighted, tennis ball shaped and size and compact makes it easy to use. The amazing features that other don’t have are that it helps you fishing even when you are ice-fishing, or on a bridge, for a kayak or even when you are docked. Just place it on your fishing line and see the images of fish even cast.
Both models mentioned, offer different features making them more efficient. The regular or traditional model needs more installation time. They are unmounted when you do it otherwise they stay intact in their position. Different features like display screen are also available so that you don’t have to rely on other devices. Smart devices which offer Bluetooth, you need to bring your cell phones so that you can view the image on it. Simple installation process saves you from any complication. You only need the casting line, attach them to it, pair it with another device for display and get started with the fishing even without the boat!
Steps to determine which fish finder is right for you
Before taking any other step like installing the fish finder, you need to know how you are going to find that which type and model of Fish Finder you need according to your demand. Some tips are listed here so that you can determine on your own and doesn’t have to seek anyone else help to find the right one for you.
- Make the list: first, you need to know what your needs are and what kind of features you want to have in the fish finder. Some questions that you need to know about the fish finder are listed here:
- How much experience you have?
- Have you ever worked with Fish Finder?
- Grey screened display are although less costly but what do you prefer? Colored Display or Grey screened
- How many inches should be the display of?
- Do you need transducer? There are some models which are without transducers but the models installed with them requires intense installation because they emit SONAR waves.
- Do you want to fish only in deep sea or shore fish can work too for you?
- The depth of water you want to fish in? Shallow or deep.
- Are you good with finding your way without GPS or do you need it in navigating and finding your way?
- The level of installation difficulty. Do you prefer easy or difficult?
- What you require, portable and wireless equipment?
- Do you need your cell phone incorporation with the unit?
- Do you need the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth?
- There are different charging cables available and of varying lengths. You should make sure if you have the right cable charger to charge the fish finder and is the length of cable appropriate to reach out to the boat?
- Some models keep the history of previously viewed SONAR images so that you can rewind and view them.
- The details of images matter too? How much detailed you need the image to be? Better details come in shallow water with higher frequency. For commercial purpose, the lower frequency is better and they work better in deep waters.
- The most important question is how much are you willing to spend and what is your budget? You need to know your needs and spend the right amount of money, not more than what you wish to.
When you are finished answering the above questions about your need, take the next step.
- Research. You need to set your priority list and search the fish finder within your price range. When you have sorted out priorities, you can look for the right ones for you.
- Examining your list is important. Cross out the options which are overlapping and cut down your list based on your priority level to two to three options that you can buy within your price range.
- Reviews of the users is a great guide. Reading and evaluating the fish finder accordingly can also help you because they have already experienced it and you don’t have to go through the experience and find the right one.
How to use fish finder???
The method of installation varies with the models. Detailed instructions with all steps are written for the boat mounted model if you do not have the manual of installation instruction.
Steps for installing are:
- Examine the brackets and screws before so that you can be sure of no damage.
- Make sure where you are going to install the finder and the transducer in the boat. There are different types of transducers, for instance, the thru-hall transducer should be installed by professionals for the best use because it needs a large hole in the bottom of the boat for mounting. You can install the standard transducers yourself because they are easy. As transducers can’t be removed after once they are installed so you have to know which is the best position for them and check the length of the wires so that you won’t have problems later. Fishfinder you install is more mobile. You should make sure that the installed transducer is stable and doesn’t tousle when you move your boat. When you know the point you want to install on, place the block of plastic or wood plank there and avoid drilling into the boat so that you can mount the transducer and glue it to the boat.
- Find out where you want to place the fish finder after you run the wires for length.
- To avoid misconfiguring, run the wires before mounting and do it from the unit to battery.
- If the point of mounting the transducer is correct after running the wires, mount the transducer and glue the block you want to use on the boat. First, dry the glue and after the holes that need to be drilled, make lead holes using lead and then mount the transducer.
- The easier part is installing the fish finder. Look up in the instruction manual for any specific information and precaution or instructions of the model you bought and install the fish finder accordingly.
- Enjoy using the fish finder after the installation as it is ready to be used now.
For installing the unit before casting, detailed information is given to know about it:
It doesn’t need installation process in a smart fishfinder. Charge the unit when you go out for fishing fully for the given specified amount before using the unit. Attach the unit to the casting line and connect it to your smartphone after charging it fully. The smartphone will be the display screen for the unit when it is connected to it. Specific instructions are written in the manual provided with the product.
The initial step in to setthe depth of water you can handle and want to fish in. many models have default settings of automatic depth detection but the problem is the creation of confusion due to continuous change in the position of the boat. Set the position you want on the consistent level according to the fish you are looking for. If it’s bass, you can set it up to 50 and change it when you want. To conserve the energy of the unit, you can disable the digital depth setting if you have it in your unit.
Set your display screen according to your wish. You can set the contrast level you are easy with. Try different contrast level and set the one you like.
When you have the product, there is no other best way to know all it can do but it try to yourself and see what it is capable of but by being careful and reading the manual provided with the product, you can use it more efficiently. Visual learners can find out more about their bought models by looking up for the videos related to the use of their products. It will help you in knowing about your model more and helps you in using it at best. Carefully read the Troubleshooting guide provided with your model. It may contain the website containing the videos related to your model. You can look for more after you get to know the basics of your fish finder. Chart-plotting fish finders need some experience to make the better use of it and you can learn it by practicing more. With enabled GPS, the record of previous coordinates enables you to find the spots you have gone to in the past as well.
For longer use of the fish finder, taking care of the device is essential. You need to clean it properly and most of the models of fish finders forbid the usage of strong chemicals for cleaning purpose. You can enhance the performance of the models which are Wi-Fi or Bluetooth enabled properly when you find out the range they can work in.
Learn about your device and the best way, use it. The display screen has varied options. Some models have split screen option and you can view the image horizontally and vertically and you can also zoom in and out. These devices are made to use so use them without being scared of damaging it. Once you know what your device offers, you can use those options. Until then, get to know it.
Let’s see the features provided in the model and how you can use them.
- It is actually the SONAR technology that allows the fish finder to look for fishes. SONAR technology works in the following way. It sends out the waves which when strikes with some obstacle reflect back. Softer object absorbs the waves while harder objects reflect them back. This system works better in the areas with less muddy or fewer weeds grown areas. To resolve this issue, some models of fish finder send multiple sound waves. The term cone angles or the core beams may sound familiar in context to the fish finder. This measurement of the beam is in degrees. The higher number of degrees represent the broader beam. A 12-degree cone is much smaller than the broad 32-degree cone. It is measured by -10db.
- Sensors which send out the sonars are portable transducers. The sensors are placed in water in these kinds of fish finders.
- Hard-wired and boat connected sensors, which are bigger than the portable sensors that are placed in the water are called transducers. This device sends out the sonars.
- There are two types of display screens, Grey screened and high definition color models. The sharper image is produced with higher contrasts.
- Maps and chart-plotting help you in finding your way.
- There are some brands (Garmin etc) which have trademarked technology or some features that are of that particular brand. Other brands may also contain that technology or feature but with the variation or different quality. Again it comes to what you are looking for in the product. Search for the brand that has a trademark in your requirement, let it be high contrast display screen and buy that product. But make sure that product is the best in that feature.
The user manual is the biggest help you need to comprehend your device. Manual provides all the necessary information that is required as well as the contact numbers and websites of the companies’ technical center.
Among the sellers of the fishfinder, Garmin is one big name. If you have its product, you can have the needed information by visiting the site www.garmin.com/support and click on Contact Support.
Contact numbers are also available:
• In the USA, 913-397-8200 or 800-800-1020
• In the UK, 0808 23800000
• In Europe, +44 (0) 870-8501241
No matter who the person is, experienced or new in fishing, fish finder helps them all equally. It helps you in locating the position of fish by providing you with the image, how far or deep it is and not only find the fish for you. The range of price varies with the variation in the technology of features offered in the fishfinder models. In this article, we looked at different things fishfinders offer, how it works and how it is installed, how a user can take care of it for longer usage. There was also information available on how actually the technology of fish finders work. When the user gets to know the right use, both beginner and experienced can use it alike.
More information : how to read fish finder